About the project
THE APPLICATION OF THE NON-TRADITIONAL ART THERAPY METHOD TO IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF EDUCATION (Project No EEE-LT08-ŠMM-01-K-02-004 financed using the 2009-2014 European Economic Area (EEA) and Norwegian Financial Mechanism assistance)
The project is initiated by public institution Raidos kryptys located in Lithuania. The project partner from Norway is Fusa Upper Secondary School.
The project aims to apply the art therapy methods and media forms in the education system for the prevention of children and youth misbehavior and use of psychoactive substances. This is an innovative solution that will make the process of education and prevention programs more attractive and acceptable for children and young people. Another aim of the project is to develop competencies of educational staff to enable them to use non-traditional forms of art therapy and media forms in order to diversify the traditional training and carrying out preventive activities.
The work of the employees of the Lithuanian education sector (teachers and social workers) is mainly based on traditional teaching methods. There is lack of innovative methods of working with students. Meanwhile in Norway art therapy methods and media forms are much more developed and widely applied in the process of education and prevention activities in both formal and non-formal educational sectors. The aim of this common activity is to improve the quality of the Lithuanian general education system and to develop the competencies of the employees of the education system to use non-traditional methods in order to improve students achievements and at the same time seek to solve existing problems, such as negative student behavior and the use of psychoactive substances. Therefore, methodological guidelines about the application of art therapy methods and media forms in the education system and the prevention will be created. The prepared methodological material will be distributed to teachers and social workers of general educational institutions. This will have a positive impact on the enhancement of the competencies of these professionals; they will be able to apply art therapy methods and media forms not only in the educational process, but also while organizing different prevention activities.
The methodology will be developed by using the best practices of Norway. While preparing the methodology, the project partner will give remote consultaions (by e-mail, Skype and other tools). 2 representatives from project partner institution will visit Lithuania for 2 days. During the visit, representatives of the project partner will give direct consultations to the authors of the methodology; they will also share the best practices of Norway in the project area and make recommendations for the successful implementation of the methodology in Lithuania.
The project will be implemented within 6 months.
The objectives of the project are:
- To promote art therapy methods and media means in order to diversify the traditional training and carrying out preventive activities.
- To strengthen thecooperation betweenadulteducation institutionsat the local level.
The activities of the project are:
1. Preparation of methodological material about the application of art therapy methods and media forms in the education system and the prevention process. Methodological material will include curricula, educational methods and educational means. The methodology will be developed by a working group consisting of the applicant and external experts. The project partner will give direct consultations (during a 2-day trip to Lithuania) and remote consultations (by e-mail, skype, etc.) while preparing the methodology.
2. Training employees in the educational sector to organise education and prevention by applying art therapy methods.
3. Training employees in the educational sector to organise the education and prevention by applying media forms.
4. Organizing a conference on education and training matters for educational professionals.
Also visit our project partner’s website dedicated to the project: http://www.hordaland.no/nn-NO/skole/fusavgs/artikkelarkiv/raidos-kryptys
Past events and project results:
1. Project press conference
Date: 3 p.m. on 26/05/2016
2. Consultations with the Norwegian partners. The aim was to discuss and update/correct the created draft of the methodology guide.
On June 21-23, Lentvaris Motiejaus Šimelionio gymnasium hosted our project partners from Fusa Vidaregaande Skule (Norway) who came to give consultations on the application of art therapy techniques and media in education for the improvement of the quality of education and prevention of children and youth misconduct. In order to avoid boredom and prevent the meeting from turning into dry theory and long discussions, the Norwegian partners brought a whole suitcase of tools and materials and prepared a number of surprises: the methodology developers had to try several art therapy and media application techniques themselves.
3. Preparation of the methodological guidelines about the application of art therapy methods and media forms in the education system for the prevention of children and youth misbehavior and use of psychoactive substances. Download the first draft of the Guidelines (in Lithuanian) for preview.
4. Creative workshops for the employees of the educational sector – learning to organise education and prevention by applying art therapy methods and media forms.
The aim of the creative workshops was to introduce the developed methodological guidelines to teachers working in the primary and secondary education sectors by training and enabling them to use the guidelines in their teaching contexts. The participants should able to apply art therapy methods and media forms in the education system for the prevention of children and youth misbehavior and use of psychoactive substances. The workshops were organised for 3 different groups, each consisting of 15 people. Each group of trainees received 6 days (48 teaching hours) of practical training (consultations).
Venue: Trasalis – Trakai Resort & Spa conference centre.
Dates: from 16/08/2016 to 27/08/2016.
5. Project conference Training educators to apply art therapy methods and media forms in education and the prevention of children and youth misbehavior. Click here to read the programme of the conference in Lithuanian.
Venue: Trasalis – Trakai Resort & Spa conference centre.
Follow the project news on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/raidoskryptys